Old Family Recipe Cook-off - This Sunday, August 25th
Make your favorite old family recipe for our friendly competition during our August Potluck lunch on Sunday, August 26th. This can be an old favorite growing up or your modern family interpretation. The prizes for the winners are displayed on the back table, with the grand prize a wok set, second place a Keebler pie maker, and third place a hand blender. Votes will be $1 each or 6 for $5 and the proceeds support our Hospitality Fund.
MCC Illiana Donates 32 Back-to-School Backpacks
This year we supported 32 children of the NWI Aliveness Project with backpacks full of the supplies they needed to start of this school year. The Aliveness Projects provides social services to families affected by HIV/AIDS throughout NWI. Thanks to all those in our congregation that donated the supplies and sponsored a child this year, you helped to make this year one in which these children have what they need to succeed.
Membership Class – This Sunday, August 25th
Interested in developing a deeper relationship with MCC Illiana and our ministry in the GBLTQA Community of NWI? Then consider exploring becoming a member of our church. Find our more about what it means to be a member at our upcoming membership class this afternoon from 1pm to 2:30pm. No obligation to join, just an opportunity to discern.
Annual MCC Illiana Awards Dinner and Gala
Saturday, October 19th, 5:30pm, Woodland Park, Portage
Mark you calendars for our Annual Awards Dinner and Gala on Saturday, October 19th. Join us as we honor those in our community who have worked for diversity, inclusion and human rights. We will be at a new location: The Sycamore Hall at Woodland Park in Portage. Available through our website, www.mccilliana.org or at church. Tickets are $45.
Special Guest Preacher - Sunday, September 1st
For our worship service on Sunday, September 1st we will have a special guest preacher. The Rev. Dena Holland-Neal will be guiding us in inspired worship starting at 10:30am. Please note that Rev. Michael will be away on vacation during the labor day holiday weekend and for any pastoral concerns during that time please contact Deacon Joy.
MCC Illiana seeks Music Leader / Choir Director
Our church is in search for a paid choir director / pianist for our Sunday morning worship service. This expansion of our worship team will accompany our worship and will lead our choir. If you or anyone you know might be interested in being considered for this opportunity at a wonderful church, check out the full job description by clicking on this link. http://www.mccilliana.org/edocs/MusicDirector.pdf
Get OnRealm with MCC Illiana
We are creating a church online community where you can connect with others in the church, join various groups, view your donations to the church and, coming soon, sign up to volunteer! If you would like to get-connected you can now create a secure sign-in at http://onrealm.org/mccilliana. Also, you can download the Realm app from your app store.
We Have a New Back Door!
Last year we initiated our Come In To Grace New Door Campaign to replace our rusting back door to the church. That new door has been installed and has really improved our ministry center. A special thanks to all those who donated to campaign and to Ed who waited for 7 hours while the installer worked. Check it out this Sunday!
Support MCC Illiana via PayPal
Make your tax-deductible donation to Metropolitan Community Church online through PayPal. This is a quick and easy way to financially support our church with your giving. Consider making setting it up as a recurring donation for your added convenience. PayPal is a secure service and you can use any major credit card. Click here to open the PayPal donate window.
Worship with us this Sunday at 10:30am
Join us every Sunday for a time of inclusive Christian worship at 10:30am. Our worship time is one of the ways that we as Christians explore a deeper relationship with God as a caring community. Celebrate with us through music, prayer and communion. We worship in an open and GLBTQ-affirming manner so we can create a place where all are welcome! For more information visit our website at www.mccilliana.org.
Food Collection for the Aliveness Project
We are taking donations of food and toiletries for families affected by HIV/AIDS. Please bring your donations of can goods, non-perishable food items and toiletries to church and leave them in the white crates by the front door. These donations will be taken to the Aliveness Project and their food pantry for their clients. The Aliveness Project is an AIDS service agency in Merrillville that provides social services to people living with HIV throughout NWI.
Administrative Volunteers Needed at the Church
If you can commit to volunteering in the church office once or twice a month (either on a Saturday or Sunday), we urgently need you! Basic computer skills needs, will train in the tasks needed.
MCC Illiana Prayer List
At Metropolitan Community Church Illiana, prayer is not only an important part of our weekly worship service but also an important part of our daily, spirit-filled lives. We invite you to pray with us each day for the needs of our community and our world.
• For MCC Illiana and the work of our denomination
• For one with some serious issues in their life
• Thanks for God being with them, for guidance, for family and for living
• For a friend who is battling cancer
• For Liz who was hit by a car
• For financial help and mental health
• Celebration for Margo’s cancer-free results
• For the family of a childhood friend who passed away
• For the life of Joyce Brown
• For all my blessings
• For all the refugees
• For Wilfredo as he battles health issues and for Yolanda as she cares for him
• For a neighbor who was taken to the hospital
• For a friend Katie who as diagnosed with cancer
• For Danny’s graduation with his doctorate
• Thanks for God bringing a Rich and Theresa home to family
• For Eric’s mom and family as she is in the hospital
• For Margo’s cousin Clara, uncle Ronny and aunt Connie – they are beloved by many and I want other to know they are beloved
• For Mercedes for healing after her stroke
• For a niece who’s husband is seriously ill in the hospital
• For personal health issues
• For Michelle’s brother Bruce who has been placed in hospice care
• For Michelle to have strength
• For a niece whose husband is seriously ill
• For health to improve
• For Margo’s aunt Clara
• For the recent crimes in one’s apartment complex
• For Whitney
• For Melinda
• For Ruth and her sister Lynn
• For Susan as she struggles with breathing problems
• For Mary who is improving daily from her stroke
• For De as she lives with cancer
• For those in our community who have experienced trans related violence
• For those with HIV/AIDS and for the work for a cure
• For our GLBTQ youth and the struggles they endure.